Tuesday, March 29, 2011

There's this thing called pity.

And I really don't understand why people actively seek it out.

I've been told that I'm way too hard on others sometimes, that I'm this frigid person who doesn't care about people's problems. That's not true. I just don't give pity to people who want it. Because here's what will happen when you pity someone who wants it. They're going to get the idea that whatever it was they were doing to get pity is okay to do, and they will do it again just to get more pity. And that is a cycle that is really unhealthy to get involved in, so why indulge them in the first place?

I don't know or care if that makes me harsh, selfish, inconsiderate, etc. But if you think about it, not everyone in the world will pity you. If you hand in an assignment that's two days late to your boss and tell him your sob story, do you think he's going to pity you? No, he's going to fire you. So allowing people to become conditioned to being pitied is actually pretty dangerous. So I'd say I'm helping people out in the long run. I'm not saying you have to be completely ruthless in order to survive, but sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and take the pain. There's really no other way to deal with it.

I don't know. That's just my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. If its any consolation, I agree with your sentiment.

    ReplyDelete